Wednesday, March 20, 2013


I have been pouring back through old point and shoot photos from the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley North Carolina.  Before blogs had really become a thing connecting motorcyclists from around the world Dale and later his son Matt would welcome me in to their collection space.  Sometimes I would go alone, sometimes I would go with my only riding buddy at the time, J.T.  This was 9 years ago.  I would creep around the museum, which feels more like garage space, take pictures with my little camera or even a phone if thats all I had (remember phone pictures from 9 years ago?!).  I would stay in their for three or four hours at a time just in a haze, as if some of the folks who rode these machines 50 to 110 years ago were hanging around in the rafters. It felt like they were sharing something with me, their ideas for making their machines go are left in the hand hewn details of of their machines.  Machines with purpose.  To go faster, to climb further, to deliver ice cream, to show a new date what a wheelie feels like.  Anyway this place is great.  I can't wait to get back.  











2 comments:

  1. Great post.
    I have folders full of low resolution photos like these from trips to WTT from the days when digital cameras were first starting to get popular.

    You'll never find a cooler place or nicer folks. It took a lot to keep me from seeing Motorhead but when people like John, Matt and Dale ask you not to go and to stay and hang out...what can you say?

    When you get back, a pilgrimage is a moral imperative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just talked with alex about going there before I teach at Penland in late May - I stopped by there last year and I guess they are doing some new exhibits etc.

    ReplyDelete